Tom’s Famous Chili
Tom’s Famous Chili is an award winning chili, which is rarely the same thing twice. Below you will see my general guidelines, but I rarely stick to them. Next time I am going to add some more beans, some more chili powder, some more rotel, and maybe even a little oregano. We typically make this every Halloween and then at least once a month until it is too hot outside to eat chili.
- 3 pounds tri-tip, cut into ¼ inch cubes
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable oil
- ¼ pound sausage
- 1 large white onion finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 can beef broth
- 5 cans Rotel
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 cans chili beans
- 3 cans black beans
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 3 tablespoons Gebharts chili powder
- Juice from 1 lime
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon green Tabasco
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Masa Harina (or regular flour)
- Brown tri-tip in batches in vegetable oil, remove and set aside. Brown sausage in same pan, then add onions and cook until tender. Add garlic and cook a couple minutes. Add beef, broth, rotel, tomato puree, beans, cumin, chili powder, garlic and onion powders, Tabasco, and lime juice. Cook a couple hours. After beef is tender, add brown sugar and Masa Harina, cook another hour. Enjoy.
- Serve with cheese, sour cream, and cornbread.
- This freezes well.
- Is often better the next day, whether frozen or just stuck in the fridge.
- I often start this in the morning to have it ready for dinner and left overs for a couple weeks.
- Grandma Rumpke’s Chili This is an excellent, easy to make chili with spaghetti....
- Mom Hick’s Chili A great chili for those cold winter nights. Ingredients 1...
- White Bean and Spinach Stew A delicious Italian white bean and spinach stew- very hearty...
- Taco Dip In our family Taco Dip can be served as an...
- Cincinnati Chili Dip Cincinnati Chili Dip is great for all occasions Ingredients 1...