Soupe Al’Oignon Maison (French Onion Soup)
French onion soup is an onion and beef broth based soup traditionally served with croutons and cheese as toppings. Although ancient in origin, this dish underwent a resurgence of popularity in the 1960s due to the growth of French cooking in the United States.
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Cooking oil
- 1 1/2 pound Yellow onion (5-6 cups)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 Bay leaf
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 64 ounces Hot beef broth (or bouillon granules)
- 1 cup Red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon Sage
- 3 tablespoons Flour, or more if needed
- Croutons, I use melba wheat toast
- Melted butter
- 2 Onions, raw
- Swiss cheese, grated
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 ounces Swiss or Mozzarella cheese slices
- In a 4 quart saucepan, melt butter and oil. Add sliced ringlets of yellow onion. Stir to coat with butter. Cover and cook over low heat 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until onions are tender. Cover pan, raise heat to medium/medium-high heat. Stir in salt and sugar (Sugar will brown the onions). Cook for 15 minutes, stirring often until onions reach a deep color. Lower heat to medium, stir in flour (add a bit more butter if flour does not absorb into paste with onions.) Cook slowly, stirring constantly about 2 minutes to brown flour slightly. Remove from heat. Pour in 1 cup of the hot beef broth, stir with a wire whisk. Add additional broth, bay leaf and sage. Simmer until soup is hot. Pour hot soup into baking crocks. Layer a little of each: onion, cheese mixture, Melba toast, cheese slice, 1 teaspoon liquid butter. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes (middle shelf), until hot and bubbly. Heat a short time under broiler to brown top is necessary.
- Be careful not to burn.
- Potato Bean Soup Potato Bean Soup is a hearty thick soup filled with...
- Wild Rice Soup Very rich with great nutty texture; it’s delicious! You can...
- Pumpkin Curry Soup A delicious fall soup. Ingredients 4 tablespoons butter 2 cups...
- Pasta and Bean Soup This is actually a Weight Watchers recipe that I have...
- Creamed Cheese Potato Soup This soup was a recipe given me by my walking...